Monday, July 03, 2006

Cultural exploitation

I'm so upset. I gave an interview to a journalist from the Taranaki Daily News describing my art work in relation to my participation in Solar Circuit Aotearoa New Zealand(SCANZ) The byline to the accompanying photo says that I am building a " traditional Maori kite" . Why not print " Canadian Artist Exploits Maori Culture!" ? How did the journalist after at least 10 minutes of discussion sum up my project like this?
I am not building a traditional Maori kite. I am not Maori. I don't speak the language. And I am like a baby learning about Maori traditions and culture. I am building a kite and I am researching kite making in the Taranki region and elsewhere in the world; both traditional and contemporary.

No more interviews with the media.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home