Saturday, July 26, 2008

sort of a slow week


After a big burst of energy in the first two weeks here I sort of came to a plateau this week. It's been increasingly difficult to get to work on some of my priorities while here. I can blame the poor weather and general homesickness but I won't. No excuses, I have to keep working harder as this will be the only opportunity to get a lot done before I get back to the Peg. When I get home I have to move both my studio and apartment into a rental house so September will be no art making month.

Friday night I finally got on to a job that's been lagging lately, the update of my website links page. Basically it focuses on electronic resources for artists interested in electronic art research and production. I can put more new stuff in there about some of my other interests but I think I'll keep the focus as it is. Another edit was to my top page using a sequence of pictures I took with my cheap digital camera. It has a multi exposure feature that snaps 16 pics in a sequence with one shutter actuation. Here's the link. top page I still have to make some new pages yet , so still lagging behind.

A bit of surprise this week was the discovery that my name and website is linked on Cycling74's users page. I've been using Max since about 1992 and although I use it a lot with my artwork and occasionally give workshops, I don't think of myself as a power user or an expert. There are 1000's of talented folks using MAX/MSP/Jitter to create wonderful performances and artworks. It's an honor to be included with the other folks listed and hope everyone else gets listed some time too.

This week I am giving a demo/workshop of Max/MSP/Jitter at Struts Gallery as part of the residency program I am participating in. Here's the blurb.

Thursday, July 31
2 PM - 5 PM
Creative Lab: Introductory MAX/MSP demo
Facilitated by Ken Gregory
Struts Gallery
Seven Lorne Street
Sackville New Brunswick

Open Studio Artist-in-Residence Ken Gregory will demonstrate the versatile audio/video processing software MAX/MSP. In use for over 20 years by musicians, artists, scientists and students, MAX presents infinite possibilities and variables for affecting analog audio and video signals through the computer based interface. MAX is an ideal tool for artists and musicians looking to explore audio/video possibilities for installation and performance. Ken's demo will focus on his artist practice and the various applications he incorporates into his diverse practice.

I'm also giving the first workshop I have ever done regarding the making and flying of kites. This is my fifth year with kiting and am a bit nervous about branching off from sharing my usual skill sets of electronics, audio recording, sensors and Max and so on.

Tuesday, July 29
2 PM - 5 PM
Creative Lab: Kite-making workshop
Facilitated by Ken Gregory
Struts Gallery
Seven Lorne Street
Sackville New Brunswick

Open Studio Artist-in-Residence Ken Gregory will lead workshop participants through the process of building a simple kite out of everyday materials. Ken will provide an introduction to basic aerodynamics and participants will have the opportunity to craft and fly their own simple kite. This workshop is open to adults and children.


2 Comments:

Blogger Janey M. said...

I'm not sure I can see you teaching kids kite-building. Hah.. :)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

ha ha ... :) At my age , I have to start 'infecting' them at an earlier age with radical ideas about art like fun, creativity and personal expression . So there is some hope for the future. There was some adults too.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home